View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2019, 9:05 pm   #13
Robsradio
Heptode

Default Re: Telephone Rentals Uniselector Chronogram

I have looked through my docs but cannot find the one I used to have, will be in touch if I find it.

The Chronogram basically controls the start and stop work hooters and sirens within a factory, ours used to sound for start work, start and stop the 10min morning tea-break, a 3 minute before lunch 'time to wash hands', then start and stop lunch, then start and stop afternoon tea break and finally end of working day. Mon-Thurs were programmed the same, with Fri and the weekend differently to suite the work pattern, overtime etc.
Different parts of the site had hooters on different circuits to cover their relevant shift patterns.
It was a very elegant way of controlling signals by electromechanical means only.
TR Services used to call the hooters Adaptahorns.
The 1 minute impulses were also derived by relays only by an impulse converter, some had hysteresis slugs on them to add the necessary contact hold, also there was an impulse reverser which switched the polarity of each impulse to drive 'continental' style alternate polarity slave clocks, this was does by PO relays, again some slugged.
As you probably guess, I love this stuff, I will now take my anorak off!