russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Wireless Self-Resonance Experiments

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral highway View Post
Nice demo, Russell!
Thanks, Al.

Quote:
I like the breakout pattern of mechanically-excited coils, it is distinctively more random than with solid-state modulated or valve-powered circuits, breaking out above, below and to the side of the top-load (toroid, typically). What did you use a a spark-gap?
The spark gap is three spherical copper RF knife-switch contacts on the end of the 50Hz supply (photo) so two gaps in series, and I put a vacuum cleaner nozzle adjacent to suck out the arc and leave the spark. It's very noisy! I have an old tumble-drier motor and had planned to make a rotary spark-gap, but life (and work) gets in the way sometimes. Manana...

I wound the primary spiral to resonate at fundamental frequency, which is about half-way around, and which allows adjustment for the corona loading the secondary and pulling the resonant point when it goes over. I get corona with a tighter tap on too, which, from bridging, I presume is from the second resonance point.

It was only afterwards I decided to stick the thing on a VNA to see what it looked like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sparkgap.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	152644  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.

Last edited by russell_w_b; 21st Nov 2017 at 4:50 pm.