View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2011, 10:14 am   #163
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Restorers dream part 2 the chassis.

Hi,

After such a long exciting day yesterday I slept like a baby last night and this morning I think I'm back on the planet.

Thanks Greg; yes it was a very easy mistake to make with the Metrosil but one I'll never forget.

Thanks for the Aurora information Geoff; every bit helps and such useful tips can save a great deal of time and frustration.

Yes Lee I really did fall for it and got caught out but not being used to this kind of work I wrongly assumed the EHT reached the CRT at the coils on the CRT neck and this was why I felt I needed to exercise care whilst touching items such as the ion trap magnet. only when I slowed down and really thought about the problem did it occur to me to have a look at the circuit diagram as I suspected EHT wasn't reaching the CRT at all and Mike's suggestion of putting my hand very near the screen to see if the hairs stood up was a brilliant bit of advice and just so easy to check; it was this simple tip that gave me the clue and once I looked at the circuit diagram I knew instantly that I had solved the problem. It just shows how easy it is to trip up whilst following very simple instructs (remove the Metrosil; it will work without it) my interpretation of this must be a classic but hang around I'm sure to cause more laughs before this restoration is fully completed.

Thanks Howard; much appreciated.

Have a great trip Dom and your vintage Land Rover and Myford lathe will be waiting for you to return; please drop me an email when you get back.

Thanks for the advice Jeffrey and the Aurora model number is; SCRF-405A Rev 2.0/2.1; I'll also find channel 1; the channel knob is broken and at the moment I've fitted a radio knob in order to turn the selector. Dom very kindly sent me the Aurora details ages ago so I'll have to find them as they are filed on CD.

Many thanks John for your continued help and advice; I'll copy and print this off; I'm pleased you pointed out that the caps and resistors look alike so have taken note; colour codes on these items are totally wasted on me and I have to resort to identifying against the circuit diagram or I'm forever asking Bron to help out; Bron is this blue love; no its purple!! Bron is this brown love; no its green!! It is highly frustrating for me but I have to live with it and work around it; imagine me working in a nuclear power plant.

Thanks for the advice on connecting the Aurora up but Mike has let me know he is bringing some coax with him so I can do a posh job. Whilst Mike is here he can also point out the resistors and caps you mention John; this will save me tripping up again (hopefully).

Out of interest I was wondering what I could do once this restoration is finally completed and already I have the next project lined up which should prove interesting; I have two rather expensive Aumann electric coil winders but only one foot control and this foot control has packed up also one of the counter displays is faulty; I'm never bored.

Kind regards, Col.