Thread: Philips B3G63A
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2015, 6:54 pm   #22
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Philips B3G63A

Hi Donald,
I've not rewired the speaker connections yet, as the cabinet is still off and I am giving that a once-over. It's not too bad, just a few shallow scratches. The old fellow who owned the set had a coal fire, which has made it rather grimey. The knobs and buttons were really awful, but came up a treat when washed in caustic soda soloution.
Speaker cable?well, I will find some suitable wire in the 'reclaimed lenghts of equipment wire' junk-box. It does not have to be anything special as there is no high voltages on the speaker leads, but make sure you have leads long enough to be able to keep them away from hot items as stated in my previous post.
I also intend to fit a mains fuse, as I do to all of my restored sets if there is none fitted..
I must confess that I replace capacitors with whatevet I have that is electrically suitable, regardless of looks if its under the chassis but it has to be equal to or better than the original spec. The only caps I found in need of replacing (apart from the H.T.smoothers) were the two black .015uF ones connected to the tone control. These are the coupling capacitors to the EL84 grid, and were causing a positive voltage to appear on the grid pin of the valve. They looked good on a meter(>20 Mohm), but still were the cause of the positive voltage .I do have a lot of spares, as I was, (and to some extent still am) in the trade from the 1950's onwards, so I tend to use what is to hand, but only if its new or 100% Ok. Good luck with your restoration. Tony