View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2023, 6:48 pm   #29
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferranti U1003 VHF loud and distorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 1936 View Post
Many of these 1950's sets had an internal FM aerial option, usually a dipole shortened by fitting it with a "loading coil" inductor and/or by putting tinfoil paddles on the ends.

Nearly all these sets used a "Ratio Detector" for FM, which includes a 5 uF or 4.7 uF electrolytic capacitor which unusually always has positive to chassis. If this cap dries out and goes low in value you will get distortion on all FM signals.
I've got one of these sets and the FM aerial is a single wire round the inside of the back cover.

As far as I can gather, Andy has replaced the C45 ratio detector smoothing capacitor and checked that he's connected it in what might seem to some to be an unconventional way round in the circuit.

Talking about this particular set has caused me to get mine down off the shelf for an airing and I'm listening to it right now playing local radio on 94.9 FM. I wouldn't say that mine is absolutely perfect, but it's not a bad performer and at least it doesn't drift on warm up like those wretched Bush VHF61 sets do.