View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2020, 8:42 am   #45
Dekatron
Octode

Default Re: A home brew meter re-magnetiser.

I really like your project!

I have asked a few magnet manufacturers for re-magnetizing of a few different types of magnets from some different meters and also for speakers and Trochotrons and always gotten a negative answer on re-magnetizing as they all have claimed that the magnets needs to be heated up to a specific temperature to be able to re-magnetize them to their original strength, they also claimed that they had to be magnetized above the level you want and then brought down to the specified level - not sure how this is done though but I guess that you can Google some and find out. The magnets I have asked about have been metallic magnets, mostly Alnico and similar types, none have been ceramic/ferrite magnets.

Having six new Alnico magnets manufactured to specification, size and strength for a tubular magnet for Trochotrons, would cost at least USD $4000 from the cheapest source I have found that would guarantee the magnets specifications- I could have them made in China for a tenth of that cost but then the companies I have found have had to large tolerances for my needs, and even that was to much money for me.

Adding magnets at strategic points or adjusting the magnetic shunt, or a combination, have always been the magnet manufacturers recomended procedure if it is possible, so that's what I have done by adding Neodymium magnets. Or in the case with the Trochotrons I have bought a lot of dead Trochotrons (leaky or smashed glass envelopes and with pins damaged beyond repair) so I could extract the tubular magnets, the same for meters where I have bought damaged meters and salvaged the magnets and parts.