Old 26th May 2019, 7:50 pm   #37
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Tone Controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchrodyne View Post
I am not sure quite what the effect would have been from including the tone controls within the main feedback loop, but perhaps the initial slope of the curves would have been reduced, with marked steepening at the extremities.
Good grief!

There are several ways of looking at it

The overall feedback would act to reduce the slopes created by the tone controls, but the reduction factor would depend on the amount of gain reduction the feedback loop was giving... (open loop gain)/(closed loop gain) which depends on the setting of the volume control.

1953 is about 14 years too early to ask what on earth were they smoking. It looks like someone who didn't really understand what they were doing had tried to amalgamate two circuits they'd come across.
Just catching up on this thread, which I'd kept away from...

I'm astonished! Qualitatively, the overall negative feedback will be fighting to cancel the effects of the tone control.

If the loop gain be really large, the limiting case will be that the tone controls have no overall effect, except to vary the amount of distortion produced (increasing as the controls are moved further to the 'cut' end of travel. If the loop gain be really small, the controls will effectively be part of an open-loop system so will behave normally. The real-world case will be somewhere between these two extremes.

What a horrid circuit... Hopefully I will wake soon and find this is all a dream