View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2019, 11:19 pm   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Rock Island Line

I just watched her doing two other songs Pete but yes, the second link is the one I started with. Thanks for the links. For those who don't play guitar [neither do I really] it's pointed out, on there, that her distinctive playing is because-dramatic pause-although she reverses the guitar, like other left handed players [Mcartney and Hendrix for example] she Doesn't reverse the strings! This requires keeping the thickest one on the top. It usually involves filing the top "nut" guide to suit the thickest string being [now] in the narrowest slot. Because she didn't do that, she is actually picking the bass line with her fingers [instead of the thumb] and playing the higher notes with her thumb [the opposite of "normal"]. It's suggested that this is what gives her sound a distinctive "ring". I'd not spotted that before

As an aside but not the same, I enjoy showing people the first Dylan album [with him in the fake fur jacket] and asking what's wrong with this picture? The answer is that it's reverse printed so the strings are the wrong way round That's when he was known as "Hammonds Folly" and it sold only 400 hundred copies. It's brilliant but he said he didn't like it because he'd already moved on. I don't think he ever met her but he would have got on well with Elizabeth! See the photo of him with the elderly Victoria Spivey on the back of the much later New Morning LP!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 14th Apr 2019 at 11:30 pm.