View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2021, 3:38 pm   #1
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Default Help with Philips L01.2E Chassis Sound

Hi All

Got a 14PT2666 Philips portable with the L01.2E Chassis, nice little stereo set, one of the speakers had a bit of distortion on it so opened it up and the right speaker was worn so i soldered the speaker wires to a new speaker and i changed the left for good measure too, the set originally had 2x 4w 16Ohm speakers and I replaced with 2x 3w 8Ohm speakers (Manual indicates 3w @ 8Ohm is fine) and thought lovely... job done...not so....

Powered the set on and and briefly got very low output from the left speaker and nothing from the right, after a few seconds the right speaker tried to kick in but with heavy distortion that progressivly got louder, i switched the set to standby to prevent anything blowing and while in standby the LED was flickering rapidly with a low 'thump' noise from the speaker in unison with the LED.

Not sure whats happed as all i changed was the speaker, now it keeps doing the same thing on every power on, picture isnt affected by it at all. once the symptom begins and the set is powered off, the audio heatsink is extremly hot after being on less than a minute and the 470uf cap in front of the audio amp is getting hot too.

can anyone point me in the right direction as to whats happened and where to look?