View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2021, 5:12 pm   #503
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Non-working Commodore PET 3016

I can point you to two of them. Go to this page:

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/c...pet/index.html

And locate these two files under 'Files' (scroll down)

Code:
basic-2-c000.901465-01.bin2009-08-184096
Also available as 6540-020 + 6540-021.

basic-2-d000.901465-02.bin2009-08-184096
Also available as 6540-022 + 6540-023.
The 901465-xx numbers should coincide with two of your PROMs. For the other two, since they are not marked, my plan was to read them and then try to find something on that page which matched. I have a vague idea that the other two PROMs may be the 'Kernel' PROM and the 'Edit' PROM but I have not confirmed that yet (confirmation / further info would be welcome), so my suggestion is that for now you focus on the marked PROMs which we definitely do have the code for. The code files are plain (raw) binary, by the way.

As the marked ones are the BASIC PROMs, if you are successful in reading them you should see a fair bit of plain text in them (I would have thought).

The main thing when doing this is absolutely not to muck up making the power connections to the PROM - any other sort of punishment it could probably take, but it won't forgive you if you accidentally get the supply the wrong way around.

The sketch we were talking about earlier is intended for reading EPROMs which have two active-low chip enables so when reading one of your PROMs tie its CS3 pin (pin 21) to +5V (like it is when it is in the PET) and use the Arduino output intended to drive either EPROM _OE or _CE on the EPROM to drive CS1 (pin 20) on the PROM.

Your first mission is to download and install the Arduino IDE from Arduino's own website, and then you can try loading that sketch into it and running it. Do that first without a PROM even attached, the sketch will still run and it will produce an output which you can view in the tools\serial monitor feature of the Arduino IDE. The data will be nonsense or all 00 or all FF if there is no attached device to be read, but you will at least see that the sketch / program is working.