View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2017, 5:20 pm   #9
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio sound quality - some measurements

The Gundig Yacht Boy N210.

A set I've had plenty to say about in the past. This uses an astonishing amount of equalisation - more than the plastic cabinet can bear with today's compressed broadcasts. Actually, it sounded better today that I've ever heard it sound before, as I'm playing straight from a CD player with no processing.

The problem is the loudness taps (there are 2). The amount of bass boost provided by these is just astonishing (I've posted simulations elsewhere on the forum), and while these were perhaps OK at the time, today the amplifier clips before we get past the taps.

I've taken 2 measurements - the red one shows the full effect of both taps, and the black line is at half volume, where things are commendably flat. There is still a large amount of electrical boost there, but that's compensating for the falling response of the loudspeaker, naturally. Between the red and black lines, there's about 10dB at 100Hz. It really is astonishing, and I can't imagine how anyone thought that would be a good idea.

If you can advance the volume control enough (reducing the gain of the power amp might be a good plan), then things are quite reasonable. The HF rolls away quite sharply above 10kHz, and while the tone control can bring up the level of 10kHz, it also brings up that peak at 6.5kHz. The 1.5kHz dip is pretty benign...

That's probably enough for now, but thoughts, comments and requests are welcome. Hope it's been of interest

Mark

EDIT: Ignore the sub-50Hz stuff on the red trace - that's traffic noise (the gain was turned up because it was a low level measurement)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grundig N210.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	141287