View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 12:50 pm   #3
Jim - G4MEZ
Tetrode

Default Re: Another crazy miniamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by adibrook View Post
1) any idea about a power valve? An EL84 is supposed to be ''warmer'' than a 6BW6, right? How does an ECL86 compare to them? Or maybe even an ECL80? An ECL 80 will really get pushed hard, and thers nothign like the sound of a valve being pushed hard. The power transformer is small, so pushing an EL84 REALLY hard will stress it. But an ECL80 probably wont. Plus theyre easily avalible, so it doesnt matter it it doesnt live as long as it would in a radio.

Thanks.
Hi Adi,

The ECL86 is a lovely valve in an amp. I liken them to an EL84 with a triode conveniently provided for your use. I adore them.

I use one in my reverb unit. Just out of interest I tried using the ECL86 is a straight audio amp rather than as a reverb driver and it sounded really nice.

I've no experience of the 6BW6 is an audio valve but it should be OK although I believe it was not designed for audio service whereas the ECL86 very much was.

The ECL80 is not a good idea. It's puny and suffers by having a common cathode for the triode and pentode sections. That can cause instability problems when dealing with the sort of gain you will be interested in.

I love the idea of using a QQV03-10. Different, but again you have the common cathode problem. What about using a QQV06-40 if the QQV03-10 works. A 6-40 looks really nice and it'll glow a treat.

50K pots are a bit low really. The only place I've ever used one is as "top-cut" tone control in my reverb unit.

250, 500 and 1M pots is what you really want.

Have fun, looking forward to seeing the end result!

G4MEZ