View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2018, 8:40 pm   #52
Leon Crampin
Octode

Default Re: Neon tester vs dodgy wiring

An interesting point was made above concerning the destruction of important buildings (and of course risk to life) caused by electrical fires. Without wishing to start a needless debate on the merits of new consumer units and fuse boxes, I have observed that many new units, when populated with the required MCBs and RCDs will not carry their full rated current without - in my view - an unacceptable temperature rise.

So, I'm keeping my '60s MEM unit with ceramic rewirable fuses and chunky busbars. 80A no problem.

I visited a National Trust property recently burned down as a result of an electrical fire (Clandon House). Chatting to a knowledgeable guide, I asked what the NT were doing to avoid further incidents.

Routine scans of all gear at full electrical load with an infra red camera was the reply. I thought this to be an excellent idea, which would also probably find a loose connection. I think this approach is far more useful than the proceduralised tick-box approach currently used in electrical testing.

There is no substitute for the application of understanding and intelligence.

Leon.