View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2018, 3:54 pm   #49
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Neon tester vs dodgy wiring

Is the deprecation of neon testers and similar [p45+6] simply a difference of opinion between proper professionals then It seems a recent development to me and one of those things that you don't know is a problem until someone suggests it might be I remember when they were relatively hard to get hold of and I've never heard of any negative [excuse pun] aspect in use.

Re the dodgy wiring title, the disastrous fire at a Northern Zoo I know well is being attributed to an electrical cause already. I thought I was perhaps a bit over the top in post 47 but there have been a whole series of "renovations"/ new builds being burnt out this year and previously; eg Glasgow School Of Art [Twice ...cause of second one unknown so far] the magnificent Grade 2 listed building in Northern Ireland, a large Country House that had just been restored and one or two more I can't remember. I'm sure this must be a big increase overall. I was only half joking some time ago when I said the best way to preserve historic buildings might be to [largely] leave them alone.

I know the House of Commons is patrolled very regularly, at huge cost, because of a high electrical fire risk. Lets hope we don't spend billions on it only to have them manage what Guys Fawkes couldn't.

Dave