View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:33 pm   #48
Michael.N.
Pentode

Default Re: French polishing for beginners.

Just a reply to an earlier post. Shellac can be sprayed, brushed or padded (French Polished). Dependent on the level of expertise, all 3 can produce extremely good results. Brushing Shellac requires just as much skill as F'Polishing (perhaps more).

Liberon Burnishing Cream is perhaps the best UK substitute for the Maguires. Having said that many French Polishers do not use an abrasive for the final gloss but use a technique of dilute applications of the Shellac mix - known as glazing.
There is no one 'correct' method of French Polishing, the techniques and ingredients vary from person to person. I guess the final result is all that matters.
The nice thing regarding Shellac is that it is known for sticking to virtually any surface. It's also relatively easy to remove should the need arise. It is available in many types, from the darkest Garnet to the very pale types. 'Button Polish' has a reputation for being the most durable, although it's probably best to dewax it first. It does add an Orange/Brown hue to the wood. A liighter shade of Button is available but I've yet to see it available in the UK.
I have never been happy with creating a matte finish using the wirewool technique. From a distance it looks fine. For the more discerning it looks unconvincing, largely because you are relying on tiny scratches to scatter the light. A matting agent will do a better job.
I'm uncertain if it has been mentioned but Meths isn't the nicest form of alcohol to be in contact with one's skin. Wear a glove or find a safer solvent.

Last edited by Michael.N.; 2nd May 2011 at 11:39 pm.