View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2021, 9:06 pm   #81
retromit
Pentode

Default Re: Commodore PET 2001 voltage regulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
To try to make things a bit clearer, one of my famous sketches - here we have a stylised drawing of the female contact (shown in dark grey) and the male pin (shown in brown).

Drawing 'A' shows the situation as it may have been originally, with the female contacts in the JP8 plug / connection #4 spread wider apart than they should be so there was no, or intermittent contact with the pin.

'B' shows the situation as it may be now - the contacts have been pushed down a bit so that they now come into contact with the pin, but maybe only just. Any movement of JP8 could make that connection disconnect again.

'C' and 'D' show the contacts more like they should be, close to the pin and touching it all the way down the sides. When like this, the relative height of the contact inside the housing does not matter so much, it will still make contact with the sides of the pin.

Note that the actual contact in the actual plug may only touch the pin on one side, or on two sides (as shown) or it may even be a hollow 'box' which makes contact with the pin on all four sides.

Whatever the actual situation, if the contacts in the female connector have been bent too far apart then they may need to be bent back closer inwards towards the male pin. AJ suggested looking to see if you can get a needle in there to bend them back in, I would also look to see if the contact can be unlatched / unlocked and lifted out of the plastic housing.
Hi. Thanks very much for the diagram/explaination. I've just had another look over the female end of the socket and although there looks to be the contact strips, you can't really move them. I've tried a few times with a sewing needle, but they're not for giving much. I've had a look over the socket as well with regards to unlatching/unlocking; I'll admit I'm not that confident in trying to remove it from the plastic housing, and it does seem pretty stuck. I'm not really too sure what to do. I've tested a few more times with unplugging/plugging, and the PET screen still comes on. It's just the thought in the back of the mind with regards to losing the DC voltage again.

Although the pin/socket is now delivering the voltage, could a safeguard be to have the crocodile clip from the +ve terminal on the large capacitor to CR1/2? Would this cause any additional problems?