View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2019, 9:37 pm   #120
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Re: Kolster-Brandes MR10

I was on the home straight with this KB-MR10 but have suffered a setback!

Replaced the Hunts capacitor and the waxy paper capacitor (in the "FM section") along with R5, the V1 H.T. feed, and this has had the effect of boosting the audio volume - now quite acceptable!

I tried different values of capacitor across both C43 (0.003μF) Part tone control and C44 (0.01μF) Tone correction but this made no discernible difference, at least to my ears?

Replaced some of the other over-tolerance resistors i.e. +20% or more - good practice for my floating spiral connections! And of course the 150Ω series resistor in the new rectifier bridge has been upgraded to a new 5W resistor (thanks Lawrence).

This is where it has all gone awry - I replaced R17 (10MΩ) as it was reading 13.2MΩ and then Long Wave and Medium Wave stopped working - aargh! I seem to have disturbed a number of connections to and around V4 but (as usual for me) I am having problems relating what I see in the schematic to what is physically present in this set.

Can someone confirm where the two ends of R17 should be connected - I can see from the schematic that one end is connected to C32 (0.05μF) and then to Pin 8 of V4 while the other end is connected to earth, but where are these connections physically??

Similarly there is a co-axial cable that runs from the volume control to the vicinity of V4 - again not sure where these two connections (inner conductor and shield) should go physically??

I'm assuming that this is where the problem lies as FM is still working - remarkably!

Almost there ...

Last edited by DonaldStott; 5th Nov 2019 at 10:00 pm.