View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2019, 5:32 pm   #5
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Kolster-Brandes MR10

Reading through the article "It Came From Outer Sidcup" by John Ounsted in the BVWS Bulletin volume 24 number 3 Autumn 1999 I have come to the conclusion that he may have been unlucky with his experience of the MR10.
I also have both versions of this model and found the electrical restoration straightforward and easy, reception is adequate with the aluminium foil antenna but agree it is better with a decent external FM aerial, much like any other make of FM radio.
The advantage of this type of set and many others with a mediocre foil plate aerial for FM and ferrite rod for AM is, that in a good signal area the radio is self contained and can be moved from room to room with no external aerial connections.
As you may know I have a few KB sets, and my collection includes 7 different KB valve radios with FM, I also have 2 radiograms with FM. They have all been straightforward to get working.
I have not found any appreciable difference in the performance of KB FM sets to other early valve FM sets that that I have restored.

I wish Alistair success with his restoration.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 1st Sep 2019 at 6:01 pm.