Thread: Lisle St
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2021, 1:44 am   #5
John_Dw
Tetrode

Default Re: Lisle St

Another blast from the past! I remember my father buying me my modified Pye PCR 2 (internal power supply and speaker?) from G W Smiths in Lisle Street, in about 1960.
During the early 1960's I regularly frequented Proops in Tottenham Court Road (near to Goodge St underground station I seem to remember), down the few steps into the back of the shop where all the 'interesting' bits of surplus were stacked up from floor to ceiling! I remember buying a No 18 backpack set there.
There used to be a non electronics surplus store, on a corner on the right a hundred yards or so the other side of the Euston Road, called 'Laurence Corner', that furnished such things as military surplus clothing, gas mask holders and fearsome looking machetes!
As a teenager, building transistor radios etc, I visited Henrys Radio, in Edgware Road regularly, and by the time I was 20 I was buying Hi Fi components at Laskys, just down the road (I still have the Leak Delta 70 amp, the Goldring Lenco deck and the Wharfedale Denton speakers on wall brackets in my lounge). Memories, memories
John_Dw is offline   Reply With Quote