View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2022, 10:53 am   #44
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: What makes a good valve amplifier?

"What makes a good valve amplifier?"

Isn't answerable without some clarification of "For what purpose?"

Guitarists sometimes want to 'play' the overload characteristics or non-flat frequency responses, rectifier droop and even stuff akin to crossover artefacts as part of the performance. An ideal amplifier lacking all imperfections would not float their boat. It's no good for their purpose.

Some hifi people make claims to produce the truest possible replica of what was recorded on the record/tape/CD/download they bought. Choosing an amplifier other than the most linear/flat/etc one is therefore hypocrisy. Can't have that!

Some hifi people choose imperfect amplifiers because they like what they do to the sound. This is a free and honest choice. Honest so long as they're prepared to admit it.

Some people choose an amplifier because of the appearance. To look techno, to look blinged up to hell, or to look stripped to absolute minimalism. Ears are relegated.

Some people choose an amplifier because of what's said about it, maybe they want to have something seen as elite, for status reasons, maybe they want something that's accepted as worth getting by a lot of people. Some follow the pronouncements of gurus, some follow the masses. Buy a PL12D turntable because so many people have them, there can't be much wrong or we'd all know, your gregarious instinct will thank you. Buy an Unattainable Pinnacle (tm) turntable because other people will look up to you.

Some people choose an amplifier on its paper specs, maybe supported by independent reviewer measurements.

Some people choose an amplifier because they like the details of the circuit design.

For a manufacturer, the goodness of an amplifier mostly shows up in the overall profit.

Some people just decide to design/build their own for no better reason than they can. Maybe they can't afford any of the commercial ones they would have liked? Maybe it's just arrogance?

I suppose I fit into the arrogant bracket, but I enjoy it so the amp I've been using for a lot of years is good for me. It's not necessarily good for anyone else, but a small run got built.

David