View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2022, 7:59 pm   #22
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Bradford museum exhibit changes

Ah Tarkovsky, my favourite director!

To add some positivity to this thread, I was at the Marstal Seafarers' Museum in Denmark last month and it was the most wonderful museum I've been to in a great many years. I had to go back two days running as there was so much to see, and that was with one of their buildings out of action.

Rooms of paintings, ships in bottles, dioramas, knots, whole sections of real ships built into the museum with hatches to look through, the bridge and saloon of a mid-century steamer with moving canvas backdrop outside the clearview screens giving the illusion of steaming through the night (with all equipment there to be fiddled with from DF radio to chart to helmsman's controls), galleries of souvenirs brought back by the seafarers...it was vast, engaging and informative despite being only partly in English.

A proper old-fashioned museum where the exhibits do the talking, but many can be touched and it can be seen how they worked. I can't praise it enough, and the Falmouth Maritime Museum can learn a great deal from it...