View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2017, 8:30 pm   #1
DuncanLeece
Pentode

Default 1930s Bestone clock radio combo.

Dear all,
I wonder how many of you are familiar with the 1930s Bestone B698 clock and radio combination? I have just completed repairing my example, which was missing its knobs, and I would be most grateful for a photo of the correct ones, as they have to fit in a very tight space rebated out of a door in the cabinet. I have found two that fit, but sadly they don’t match one another.
All in all, however, I am delighted with the results. The clock mechanism is a Hammond Synchronous movement (yes, Hammond of organ fame) and is much better quality than the wee radio chassis, which I suspect was something of a sales gimmick to sell the clocks…..price £7 7s 0d in 1937!
The radio is a three-valve TRF with MW only. A most unusual valve set, with a 12A7 combined mains rectifier and output valve, I had never come across before, and according to the excellent Radiomuseum website it should be a pair of 6C6s, but mine has a 6D6 and 6C6, and the valve bases are clearly factory-marked as such. My 6C6 was physically broken, but luckily my good mate and fellow forum member David Simpson got me a replacement. Apart from the wiring being lethal, the only other real job was the usual cap replacements, and those in this set were some of the most leaky I think I have ever found.
But now it is all working and the case has responded well to a good polish. I like it, and will be happy to add it to my collection. Hope you don’t mind me sharing my ‘triumph’. If only I could get the right knobs though!
Best wishes
Duncan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bestone parts replaced.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	138278   Click image for larger version

Name:	bestone controls.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	138279   Click image for larger version