View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2019, 10:34 pm   #18
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Ferrograph 4A: Restoration advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
Thank you, TIMTAPE. That PDF is very helpful, and the process appears understandable.
It's great isn't it. Lots of practical information there.

Quote:
As far as this head goes, is the brass tripod screwed over the coils, with the hole to attach the head cover, part of the re-lapping process or do I remove it? I imagine the procedure is to sand down the whole of that front brass curved surface, but it's as well to check!
Yes the entire face is lapped. Obviously the base would need to be temporarily removed. Just be careful with lapping, especially if it's the first time for you. A little bit at a time, with frequent visual inspection with a magnifier in a strong light. There's only so much metal there before the fine head gap opens out and then it's a bin job. Ideally practice your technique on something that's OK to destroy!

Quote:
Does the square (erase?) head need the same treatment, and if so does it need removing from its alloy case?
I wouldn't attempt relapping the erase head. It has a ferrite core rather than permalloy and I believe special techniques were used to relap them.