View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2017, 7:13 pm   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Restore of KB 428

I have not done many restorations lately, but decided to start on one I have been meaning to do for some time. I bought this fine 1935, KB 428 radio some time ago. It features a neon tuning indicator and "Fototune" dial, which shows one station name at a time through a window.
However it is missing its speaker and power supply shelf.
Click image for larger version

Name:	KB_428.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	146059

Name:	KB_428_chassis-part.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	146060
more details can be seen here http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/kolster...28_kb_428.html

I also bought this old Alba 815, with the view to using the mains transformer to supply the HT and rectifier heater and OP valve heater. You can see the actual one here in the radio museum, http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/balcombe_815.html .
However I think I failed to realise at the time that the rest of the valves in the KB 428 were 13v heaters. So it looks like I will have to include an additional approximately 12v transformer to run the 13v heater supply.

I will need to make the complete PSU shelf for the transformer, rectifier, capacitor block and speaker transformer, and associated components.

Name:	KB 428 power supply shelf.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	146061
I will also need to find a 9 pin plug to fit into the socket on the main chassis.

Thinking about it now though, it does seem a shame to use the Alba as a donor set as the cabinet is in very good condition, even if the chassis is a little rusty.
I dont suppose there is anyone who would like to swap the Alba for a suitable mains transformer, energised speaker and OP transformer?

I have removed all the valves, being careful to lever off the top cap clips by prising a thin screwdriver under the clip and between the cap to save stress on the cap and wire in case the cap came loose.
All the 13 volt valves, 9D2, 15D1, 9D2, 2D13C, heaters test good, at around 11 ohms, and the OP valve, a KT41 in this case also tests as heater good. The tuning indicator is a Cossor 3184 and this looks a bit dark on the inside of the glass, but hopefully will still work.

The bad bit found so far (apart from the missing PSU and speaker) is the tuning dial film disc has been rubbing on the metal dial backing and scored a line all the way round it. It is still readable with a bit of imagination but will detract a bit from its looks when working.

Name:	KB_428_dial_film.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	146063
It looks like someone has been in the underside of the radio at some point in the past.

Name:	KB_428_chassis_under_before.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	146062

Mike