Thread: R1481 set
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2016, 3:01 pm   #8
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Default Re: R1481 set

Thanks for comments.

The other radio Clydsdales were advertising was actually the 1155, that was priced at £18/10/00 (complete, incl carriage) while the 1481 (again, comp with power unit and carriage) was £8/8/0. So less than half the price. Maybe because it had a lot less potential?

My memory is not reliable about this, as it's going back to I guess late 60s, but I think my GF was hinting at radio reception, I assume SW bands. I'm pretty sure he would NOT have been thinking of TV bands.

He prob bought the boxes about 1950. I'm sure it was sat there in his loft long before I understood what it was (I was born 1950). So this would be before any proposal to establish amateur bands about 70 Mhz, unless he had advance info about that. Again, I'm sure he hinted that he'd need to make some alterations to the unit for whatever he had in mind, I think he even had some circuit notes about it, or a spec for some new coils (tuning ?) or something like that.

Certainly, it never got done. Maybe it did turn out to be impossible, or just impractical?

Regarding stripping the units, I don't remember there being THAT many components in there. The tuning capacitor was a wonder, most other things looked pretty ordinary (and by the time I was looking I was dismantling TV chassis).

Maybe he just made a mistake in buying it??

Geoff