Thread: R1481 set
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2016, 10:53 pm   #1
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Default R1481 set

Hello,
Just trying to clear up a bit of family history.

My grandfather had a R1481 set, the main unit and a power unit. According to a 1949 advert I've just seen, the unit was for 65-86 mcs. The only bit of the unit I still have is the little card tuning chart that fitted into the holder on the top front of the unit. How come I've kept that...?

I think my GF planned to alter the unit, so that it could be used on other channels. Would this have been Short Wave (somewhere in 5.9 - 26.1 mcs??) How much of a conversion would this have entailed. I think he might have started something.

I ended up with the units before I went to Univ, and I did use the power supply for powering an audio part of a TV set, but the two units (and my TV bit) vanished over the next 10 years or so (me at Uni, rest of family not knowing what it was, me not knowing what to do with it - nothing malicious). Of course, I now regret it all going. It was all in pretty good condition. Might it have been a viable project. As a teenager, I was fascinated by the very fine tuning drive, with gearing.

Any background much appreciated.

Geoff Barnard, Guisborough