View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2020, 10:44 pm   #6
Robsradio
Heptode

Default Re: Sangamo Rate Changer... finally!

The numbers are growing!
The reason I started the interest was as a kid in the 70s our house meter board had an ‘off peak’ time switch that ticked constantly but never needed adjusting, it never meant much to me at the time, but it was a clock of sorts so was of interest to me even at that early age.
As an adult I realised that any purely mechanically rewound time switch would over a period gain or lose time and need adjusting, so I then did some digging around for answers, and discovered the Sangamo spring reserve switch with a balance wheel vibration synchronised to the mains frequency and hence no need for time corrections.
The interest went on from there and other brands and models were discovered and a small collection gained.
Mark... Thanks for posting photos of your round pattern time switch, good to see another, and a solar of even more interest. As for leap years, I guess they need correcting as they probably cater for a 28 day Feb.
Tony... It sounds as though you have a nice collection too, if you get a chance for pics that would be nice.
(My new acquisition failed yesterday, motor winding went open circuit, the moisture must have caused more damage internally, luckily I had a scrapper round pattern I could rob the motor from, up and running again now)