View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2015, 9:38 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Restore a Beau Decca

The prices complete BD's turn up for is less than the amplifiers can be flogged for, otherwise empty cabinets would never turn up, so you would be more likely to find another set of innards already in place in complete machine affordable than another set of innards alone.

It all depends on what you believe in. It would be nice to restore the thing back to original, but I think getting the bits will take a very long time and would involve expensive fighting on the usual auction places.

Valves don't have a monopoly on good sound, though some people seem to believe so. It is certainly harder to design good amplifiers around transistors than it is around valves, but it is not impossible and some excellent examples exist. What's even better is that because fashion seems to point in the other direction, they can be found cheaply. You could go for a Quad 33/303 or 44/405 setup. I like the Sugden A48 rather a lot but mounted at that angle the separate preamp/power amp approach is attractive. Linsley-Hood class-A?

There are lots of choices that ought to be affordable and sound rather good.

Besides, it's rather good fun going against all the fashion and still winding up with a great sound.

David