View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2020, 11:02 am   #12
dougietamson
Hexode

Default Re: Baird TR1 restoration begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
In case you didn't know, that's a Collaro Transcriptor tape deck, probably a Mk4 (the one with the digital tape counter). Huge flywheel. Bi-directional. 2 motors doing the job of 3 - at the expense of extra jockey wheels and links.

The "extra" EL84 elevates (I guess) the electronics to a better class than single EL84 types.
Should be a rewarding restoration.
Graham
I wasn't sure of the exact deck model, any tips on a mechanical service? I've put a very small amount of grease on the many arms/levers/parts that metal rubs against metal. It's now moving a lot better than the original condition it arrived in. I've not touched the motors or gone rear the tape path/heads.

I cleaned the capstan pinch roller, it was quite brown. I removed it and gave it a gentle clean in dilute fairy liquid/old toothbrush. Then some of my home brewed/distilled 96% ethanol (for research use only tho my SAAB 95 is the ethanol/petrol biofuel model so I can keep it running after the apocalypse !)

There was a felt pad inside the roller, I assume for oil, would silicone oil be best here?

Photo of cleaned up roller attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7280c.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	217401