View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2020, 9:01 am   #5
dougietamson
Hexode

Default Re: Baird TR1 restoration begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Was it easy to empty the old can before restuffing, I have never done it.

David
It can get messy... and not 100% sure of the toxicity of the contents I wore vinyl gloves.
I chipped away at the crystallised lump, there was a deep hole under it so I attacked it with some long nose pliers. The rubber was quite perished and came off quite easy. There was a thicker paxolin type layer next with the 3 colour coded terminals (red 16uF, yellow and blue 32uF). I wanted to keep these in good shape to reuse, they pulled out easy too.
The paxolin layer gave more of a fight but I just chipped away at it making sure not to damage the can.
The can was attached with a nice solid steel clamp/ring bracket which was handy for hiding the glue I used to stick a new paxolin disk I made. I used the can as a template to draw round on a sheet of paxolin and cut with a fine coping saw then sanded it smooth. For the terminals I drilled 2 2mm holes and made a small loop of thick solid core copper wire to tie the terminal and flooded with solder. I clamped the negative lead of the new caps to the outside of the can under the bracket.
The plates were in a white paste, it came out in one piece.
I insulated the inside of the can with 2 layers of electrical tape. The caps were hot glued to each other with small blobs leaving space for air flow. I stacked
2 400v 10uF and 6.8uF radial caps in parallel for the 16uF.
I didn't have any paint to put back on the terminals so I just cut some electrical tape into dots and glued to the base of the terminals.

Doug.