View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2023, 9:53 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Manual Desoldering Pump Suggestions.

I agree with The General. Someone (you?) recommended those here ages ago and I bought one.

It's got a very good suck, and thanks to the silicone tube end, a very good adaptation against the molten solder joint.

I find I can remove 95% of the solder from a tagstrip or valveholder terminal with one of these and my Weller TCP iron, so long as I add a bit of liquid flux or fresh rosin-core solder first. The remaining solder can be blotted off with a bit of bog-standard Servisol Soldamop braid in the usual way, then the wires unwrapped. Saves using several inches of braid for a single joint, and quicker too (which is also kinder to the tagstrip or whatever).

The downside? Unless the volume of solder requiring removal is very small, the flexible nozzle blocks every time! The way I deal with this is to pull off the silicone tube, prime the plunger again (thus expelling the cylinder of set solder), poke a small screwdriver through the tube if necessary, then re-fit the tube. With practice, this takes only 3-4 seconds

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 17th Jan 2023 at 10:12 pm.