Thread: Zx81
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 10:35 am   #272
John Earland
Hexode

Default Re: Zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
The ZX81 doesn't have the fairly complex circuitry needed to generate a colour signal for the set to 'see', but in the absence of a colour carrier from the source, a circuit called a 'colour killer' should really come into play on the TV.

Maybe this particular TV is a little bit taken aback when confronted with a monochrome source. (Being an LCD set, it will have been made many, many years after mono broadcast transmissions and other monochrome-only sources were common). - I think you might be right here! I have another older LCD which I could try.

You could try letting the fault clear and then try cooling various things including the regulator, electrolytic capacitors, etc, to see if the colour noise comes back when you do that. Don't blast the electrolytics too hard, they contain liquid inside which needs to remain liquid in order for them to work...
I will need to get some more 'poop spray' from B&M so might take a while! And, I hesitate to say this(!), but the machine switches off when I try to load in a program! Yes - Bermuda loading triangle again. I have tried a sound setting which works on my working ZX81 but this mchine simply switches off everytime I load something. I shall be patient though and try various volume settings.

I have had it running for over an hour now though and it is still working. The black characters remain a little grainy - though no colour now because I've switched it off! At least the replacement ULA works. Could this issue be caused by my soldering efforts!?