View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2018, 5:42 pm   #11
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Can anyone read the old CF2 discs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
There was a serial/parallel interface unit for the PCW machines which plugged onto the system bus connector. So you might be able to get the data out that way -- if you could find the interface and the software to drive it.
I believe that was what LocoLink used, although I don't currently have a copy. I do, however, have the interface - which was also used for connecting an external printer, or could be used for running the Kermit inter-computer communication software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I never had an Amstrad PCW but I seem to remember some oddity with the drives. Something like the original drive (A was 40 cylinder, the add-on drive was 80 cylinder. The 40 cylinder driver was a 'flippy', you could turn the disk over. I am not sure the add-on drive was, it may well have had 2 heads

FWIW 40 cylinder drives with 2 heads existed and the disks were not data-compatible with the flippy type. One side was effectively recorded in the opposite direction (the motor did not reverse on the 2 head version when you changed sides...)
Yes, that sounds about right. I must admit I had forgotten about that complication. I only have a single-sided A: drive in my PCW - as I said, the B: drive is 3½".