View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2018, 4:44 pm   #3
MeerKat
Hexode

Default Re: Akai GX-77 motor & other problems.

I have done all the rotating shafts/bearings accessible from the front now. Before stripping I mark the position of adjustable parts and note any end float where applicable. I take lots of photos and only do one assembly at a time, re-install it and go on to the next. I changed the reel table drive belts and a drop of oil was applied to each of the reel table drive motor shafts. The slide for the tape loading roller was cleaned and lubricated when I had the loading roller out, the tape motion detector disc is a press fit on the roller shaft, tightish but easily removed with care, again I took careful note of the end float and restored it on reassembly. Pots and switches have been treated to a moderate amount of Servisol

I have re-tested playback performance in both directions and my ministrations have not caused any noticeable deterioration and the various switches and pots don't crackle or dropout any longer.

And now to that capstan motor! Wish me a clear head and steady hands guys.......

Illegitimi non carborundum