View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2019, 6:30 pm   #241
jncoleman
Triode

Default Re: Gemini 80-Bus System

What a pleasure and surprise to find you, and how good to know I'm not the only person with an interest in 80 Bus systems. I haven't read John Newcombe's posts in detail yet but I'll be pleased to help where I can, because I'm doing something similar with my own systems which came to light when we moved house recently. I have three.

(1) Nascom 3, in official case with dual drives. Includes Nascom2 , FDC, AVC, MAP80 256K RAM and the little Phoenix monitor.

(2) Nascom 2, 19" rack mounted, inc. Nascom2, 48K RAM B, I/O.

(3) Gemini Galaxy 1 in official enclosure, inc. GM813 CPU, FDC, SVC, RAM-Disk, Climax colour, 64K RAM and Gemini keyboard.

I also have any amount of CP/M software, including the Gemini, Nascom and MAP80 BIOS implementations, compilers and assemblers, and the Micropro suite (Wordstar etc).

(1) used to run CP/M, and I'm currently restoring that function. I reprogrammed the boot EPROM and rewired the decode links, which had been set up for some non-standard dual-boot arrangement with CP/M and NAS SYS. It's now OK except for the drives, which probably just need cleaning after 10 years in the attic.

(2) is the only one fully working, and in its current configuration can handle simple control applications. It used to be part of a larger Gemini-expanded system inc. floppy and Winchester, but I left the drives in a lab at work and infuriatingly someone assumed they were rubbish and threw them out, together with a lot of documentation, a Pluto board, and another Phoenix monitor.

(3) doesn't have any disk drives, but when I manage to get hold of a replacement Gemini one I'll run CP/M on it, and write GSX drivers for the Climax board. I'd then like to get CP/M Plus or MP/M running, both of which are going to require a BIOS rewrite. I might just have to buy a BBC disk drive, but I like everything matching and am very keen to find a Gemini one.

I also have a Telcon Zorba machine which, unlike the Nascom, worked perfectly after 20 years of disuse, all its disks still readable. I intend to use this to write a BIOS for the other machines if I find their system disks are trashed.

I used to know my way round these machines fairly well, although I'm going to have to get back up to speed. I'll keep an eye on the thread and chip in where I can.

If Peter B in Carshalton still has the MP/M manual to spare (post 5th May), I'd be very grateful to take him up on the offer, and will put it to very good use.