View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2019, 11:32 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: 1940's industrial desk top table fan help needed

Well..the numbering on the back MIGHT mean it was designed for 110volts which would give you an extra problem over and above the restoration issues.

With this i would be tempted to start by stripping then repairing the cage (brazing or more likely silver-soldering), cleaning and polishing all visible parts. Depending on your own perspective, at this point you should know whether you want to proceed further, or leave it as 'decorative only'.

(These sorts of queries inevitably inspire a certain amount of caution on this forum due to safety and liability issues. Because of this there is a disclaimer on this 'site which must be read.)

Much depends on your own experience of repair, but the chief issues are:
-Ageing insulation will almost always require replacement.
-Selling on the appliance as a working item would not ever be viable, it would have to be sold as a curio, with the mains lead removed prior to sale.
-As you no doubt already know, as a working fan it would have to be out of reach of children, dullards and sleepwalkers, and preferably strips of fabric attached to the front which flutter to indicate the blades are rotating. (Fans of this age can be extremely quiet in operation)
-3 core wiring and a plug in RCD would be minimum requirements for restoring/using this fan. All metal parts of the appliance MUST be earthed.
-Switching on and off should be done remote from the fan, not by using the switch on the side. (In my opinion.)
-There may be additional requirements/recommendations that i have left out!

Overall i would say that if you lack experience you need someone with electrical restoration background in the room with you at critical points to assess the viability of repair and use. If the motor is tested and found to be faulty this could mean the fan is 'dead' from a realistic perspective. But i do wish you luck with it...and if i sound patronising it's entirely unintentional!

Dave