Thread: ISB Receivers
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 8:02 pm   #91
John KC0G
Hexode

Default Re: ISB Receivers

Going back to posts #72 and #73 there were a number of books which came out of Collins:

1. Fundamentals of Single Side Band, by the Collins Radio Company, softcover
There were three editions, dated ca. 1957, 1959 and 1961. IIRC the 3rd edition did not have the fold-out schematics of the 2nd edition. I kept the 2nd ed and sold the 3rd.

2. Amateur Single Sideband, by Collins Radio Company, 1962, hardcover
This was reprinted in paperback By Communications Technology in 1977.

3. Single Sideband Principles and Circuits, by E.W. Pappenfus, Warren H. Bruene and E. O. Schoenike, McGraw-Hill, copyright 1964.

All three authors were with the Collins Radio Company, but Ernie Pappenfus (ex-W9SYF, ex-W0SYF, ex-WB6LOH, K6EZ) had left in 1962. At that time he was Head of Development, Department B, with responsibility for the development of amateur equipment, AM Broadcast transmitters and SB HF military equipment. (Source - Electric Radio, Feb. 1990, #10, p. 8)

4. Single-Sideband Systems and Circuits, edited by W.E. Sabin and E.O. Schoenike, McGraw-Hill, 1st ed 1987, 2nd ed 1995.

A revised 2nd ed was published under the title "HF Radio Systems & Circuits" by Noble Publishing in 1998. This edition is still in print, now published by SciTech Publishing which is an imprint of the IET (Institution of Engineering Technology). The later printings do not seem to come with a CD. The original printing in 1998 came with a floppy disk.

Collins really did work things out. I will not part with my copies of #3 and #4.

The Collins KWM-389 was a very high end amateur radio transceiver which was sold from ca. 1979 to 1983. I once saw a service manual for it which extended to two ring binders, the first of which was very thick. I wonder how thick or thin the Japanese ham radio service manuals were at the time. Collins only knew one way to do things, ie as well as they could. There was also a companion general coverage receive, ie the 451S-1, which was very rare and now seriously expensive. It appears that one sold at the well-known auction site in 2014 for $18,100.

73 John