View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2021, 3:03 am   #10
mister valve
Hexode

Default Re: Cossor, 378 "Super-Ferrodyne" Receiver, Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
A comprehensive write up Mr V! I've just had a look at it on the Radio Museum site. The metal trim has that distinctive 30's look but the overall shape sort of leans towards the next decade [in my view anyway]. Pre-war sets have that engaging look internally because of the sometimes slightly "Heath Robinson" technology at the time. Well worth all the effort you in put in to this rescue mission. It will be interesting to see how it looks when the cabinet is sorted

Dave W
Yes, there were various "Cossor" models (both T.R.F. & Superhet), that had that type of metal trim, in the mid to late 1930's but with completely different shaped wooden cabinets & metal trim to suit.

I personally, think the metal trim would look very nice in chrome, but as it was not like that originally, it would be wrong of me to get it chromed. I want the set to look cosmetically, original.

I'm not absolutely sure, what colour the trim was when new. The only pictures I've seen of this model when new, have been in 'Black & White' (monochrome) - which is not very helpful. The service sheet states that the cabinet is walnut finished, but doesn't mention the trim colour finish.

When I have restored the cabinet, and fitted the chassis & speaker, I will upload the completely finished set.