View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2017, 12:39 am   #7
ray4566
Diode

Thanks for replies and suggested solutions so far.

The DVD player I am using is very basic and doesn’t have an NTSC > PAL conversion function in its menu (but a DVD recorder I’m looking at buying does have this, hope it also changes the field rate from 60 to 50hz) so that’s 1 thing to try.

I’ll also start looking at a PC based solution to make new DVDS as suggested by Julie if the NTSC > PAL conversion function doesn’t work well as previously pointed out.

I think the DVDs that I have are the genuine ones for the UK market since I noticed they have the BBFC ‘PG’ symbol on them and I believe (but admit I don’t know for sure) this is a UK only marking.

I may be guilty of over thinking this problem but I still cannot understand why DVDs from 2011 intended for the UK market would be outputting composite video at 60hz.

Hope someone can help me get my understanding right regarding whether this problem is expected and normal (or whether I have simply ended up with some disks that have counterfeit markings).

I now understand from your previous post Paul that the region coding is independent of the source format so am happy with that explanation.

And you replied whilst I was composing the post before this one.

Furthermore from what you say it sounds like (even in 2011) the manufacturers exporting DVDS of US TV shows to the UK were expecting consumers to already have TV’s capable of processing and displaying the 60hz material even though there may still have been a few CRT based 625/50 sets around.

I think I’m getting the point now, thank you .

Cheers & thanks again, Ray