View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2017, 6:16 pm   #1
ray4566
Diode

Default DVD Source Material 1950s

Hello, I hope someone can help.

Background is I've just finished my first restoration of an Ekco TCG316 Radiogram/TV.

For my signal source I purchased a cheap Sony DVP-SR170 DVD player and an Aurora SCRF -405A 625/25i to 405/25i Converter.

All DVD's I have tested from my existing collection play OK but I really wanted to show the TV with some original 1950s/60s 4:3 programs so I purchased a Twilight Zone Season 1 DVD set from Ebay which is supposedly for region 2 (although there is nothing written on the sleeves that actually confirms the region).

All the discs from the set load OK and audio comes through but once playback starts the Aurora switches to test card output presumably because it is unhappy with the input video signal.

The discs in question play OK on my main Sony Blu Ray/Bravia TV combination and show their original 4:3 aspect ratio so from that I assume the disks are generally suitable for the UK market.

I 'scoped the Composite Video output from the DVD player and observed that the field interval was 16.7mSec from the problem DVD as opposed to 20mSec from the working DVD's so understand why the Aurora rejects it and conclude that the recorded format on the disc is 60hz as per the original US TV Source.

So the question is have I bumped into a generic problem that you more experienced renovators have frequently seen (in that DVD's of US originated TV shows for the UK market output at 60hz with the expectation that they will be used on modern flat screen TVs that can process the 60Hz field rate).

Or have I simply been sold a set of discs which were only intended for the US market ?

Or to put it another way are some of you already successfully playing US TV shows such as Beverly Hillbillies, Mr Ed, Lucy etc on your 405 Line TVs via DVD and Aurora.

Thanks in advance for any advice / pointers.

Ray