View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2018, 8:44 pm   #17
ricard
Octode

Default Re: Replacing drive belt on Stellaphone ST454

One thing struck me: if while lifting the reel tables you have inadvertantly lifted (and turned) the shafts that the reel tables ride on (part 90), note that the bottom of the shafts are not circular but have a flat so as to ride in the groove in the lifting mechanism (parts 87 and 88). One needs to turn the shafts until they fall into the groove.

Another issue can be that the grease in the hole that the shafts run through gets hard with age causing them to bind, so that the reel table doesn't fall down with gravity as it should. Since the machine worked beforehand I wouldn't think this is the problem however.

The small washers you mention are used as shims to get the reel tables at the right height in play/record mode. The number of washers used is adjusted on an individual basis in production to match the tolerance of the actual pieces used in a specific machine. The number of washers is not critical for operation, but if the reel table height is wrong the tape will rub against one of the flanges when playing.

Yes, the friction pads should be dome side up. I believe it's now possible to get replacements from the similar places that sell belts. Failing that, a piece of (homogenous) cork can be cut to shape and used instead, with good results. Others have reported using hard rubber, like the type used for door stops, cut to shape.

When cleaning the plastic parts, meths or pure alcohol, or isopropanol should all be suitable. Normally cleaning of these parts is not needed though, as the clutches only are used in play/record mode. (There are other recorders where the same clutch is used also for fast wind, with springs used to increase the friction, and they can be rather more sensitive to slippage).

By the way, for completeness, and because I just found some measurements I'd made of the friction pad in the pictures above: The diameter is 8.1 mm, and the height from the bottom to the top of the domed surface on top is 6.4 mm, with the height along the side of the friction pad being 5 mm. (I've also noted a part number 46240009 but that's certainly moot at this point as any old stock found will have degraded just as the originals by this time).

Last edited by ricard; 24th Jan 2018 at 8:51 pm. Reason: Added measurements