View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2011, 8:37 pm   #45
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Simple memory card player idea

I'm using a IDE-CF adapter too, Kat but I've modified mine to conform to the circuit supplied in:

http://www.elektor.com/magazines/200...29.lynkx?tab=4

This drives the CF card in 'eight bit PC mode'. I would prefer my circuit to work with an unmodified adapter, i.e. in 'true IDE mode'. But for the moment my aim is just to get it to work and then see if I can make it work in IDE fashion later.

The main difference is use of the /IORD and /IOWR lines instead of /OE and /WR. If anyone can shed any light on driving IDE mode I would be grateful. If I do change my circuit to working IDE mode then it must be able to use eight bit data.

I've got the PIC to generate a pixel rate read clock - 40nsec high, 120nsec low. I did this by setting a pulse width modulator for one cycle duration! The resolution is the full crystal frequency so I can control the width of the pulses to 40nsec.

The good news is I'm not over-clocking 4MHz parts this time. I'm over-clocking a 20MHz part instead (but only to 25MHz)

I'm now working on PIC code to get the first locations of the CF card displayed on a 625 line monitor. The 6.25MHz pixel clock is inadequate but that doesn't matter - if I can display a stable picture then my approach has hope. If not, well I go on holiday soon so I can forget the humiliation and shame...