View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2008, 12:45 am   #10
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Where to buy blank chassis ?

Thanks very much for the replies folks

Chris, Michael, Ed, dseymo1:
Once upon a time I would have been tempted to try making my own chassis. But then I did try, and that's when I learnt just how cack-handed I was (and still am). I could do it, but to end up with anything I'd be prepared to let anyone else see I'd have to spend way, way too long on it. And if I ever get this project finished it will be a bass guitar amp, so a) there is a risk that other people will see it and b) time not spent learning metalwork will be time spent learning the guitar (and if you think my metalwork is bad, you should hear my guitar playing ).

I should also point out that the ironwork really is heavy. The mains transformer weighs 9kg and the output tranny and choke add another 8Kg between them. Hence my preference for steel, and heavyish steel at that. And even then I think the whole thing is going to need some extra reinforcement. I fear this eliminates the PC case option, although this is otherwise a very neat idea and one I will definitely file away for future use. I also like the sound of a die-cast box. But I don't think I'll get one big enough. And even if I did, the slight taper that's needed to get them out of the die might make it difficult to attach a front panel squarely.

Les,
I had come across Ampmaker (and then forgot about them) but not Livinginthepast-Audioweb. Thanks for that. They are the sort of people I was looking for but their chassis are not, I think, as good as Bluebell's for my particular application. However I will re-visit Ampmaker because they do head cabinets too and I am also "challenged by" (= useless at) woodwork.

John (and I),
We know about Bluebell. They can sort me out for £11.22+VAT for the basic chassis. I would have gone straight to them (and I probably still will) but I was also interested in a cage. Unfortunately their cage is only 5.2" high which won't clear my mains transformer.

In summary it looks as though there aren't many suppliers in this field (maybe I'm not surprised) but there's at least one who can get close.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

GJ