View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2019, 4:42 pm   #46
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Traditional Paint Stripper.

I agree with Dave - I'm not a fan of determining toxicity by killing lab animals. We know DCM and methyl alcohol are hazardous, we don't need to maim any creature, we have the knowledge.

Any replacement, however has to be quantified for toxicity, so by-bye another load of creatures. (I note the LD50 is 800mg/kg and LD dermally is 20,000mg/kg so as an 87kg human, assuming I am physiologically similar to rats, I would need to drink 69g or pour 1.74kg over myself to have a strong chance of being killed).

I'm not a rat lover, but I agree with Lewis Carroll when he wrote about animal experimentation - practicing it suppresses natural respect for life and develops a culture of ruthlessness which will be our undoing.

If it was a choice of killing a load of rats (and making them increasingly uncomfortable as the 'safer' the chemical, the more you have to make them eat it in order to kill 50% of the sample) to find a safe stripper, or just putting on PPE to use traditional Nitromors, I'd reach for my PPE and the traditional yellow tin!