View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2017, 1:26 pm   #11
Specmaster
Triode

Default Re: Amstrad PPc512 and PPC640 luggable computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_newcomb View Post
Hi Graham, to be honest I am a little confused as two machines are involved and much has been posted above. Therefore, I will simply list my thoughts, as this is how I would approach the problem
Ok, to try and clarify the situation. Yes there are 2 machines, a PPC640 and PPC512 and I only have 1 set of discs between them.

The last time I used them was about 12 months ago and both worked perfectly using the same operating system discs. I went to use them again a couple of weeks ago and only the PPC640 would boot from the floppy disc.

The PPC512 would go through the normal boot process and then would terminate with a blank screen, no beeps from the machine to indicate an error code..

Anyway at that point I decided that I really ought to make back up copies of the set of discs for security reasons alone.

Bareing in mind that the PPC640 boots and loads all the other discs on demand with no problems and also functions perfectly, so it was a surprize to me that while attempting to copy the operating boot disc, when it threw up an error message about an unrecoverable read error on the source disk. So that then terminated my attempt to create back-up discs.

The command of FDCOPY is not on the set of discs that I have for the machines so is this DR-DOS command?

They will work happily with either MS-DOS or DR-DOS, I used to have PC512 with a huge 30Mb hard drive and I replaced the supplied MS-DOS with DR-DOS as it was both faster and seemed to a better command set and I never had any issues with it.