Thread: 240, 405 & 625
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 8:16 pm   #18
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 240, 405 & 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
We actually exported many 625 line TV sets from the late 40's to the early 70's and they gained an excellent reputation abroad.

If our Dual standard sets were so bad at the time why are they now once restored now giving excellent results without the horrible grey pictures they did in the mid 60's. I think it was only after duplication that 625 was any good here.
First and foremost I think the problem was UHF, not 625. The PC86 and PC88 may have worked at UHF but only well enough for local reception. In most cases we can now feed our sets with decent signals, strong enough to overcome this problem.

Single standard sets were always going to be easier than dual. Hence a UK built 625 export TV22 etc would be as good as a 405 version. Remember we were exporting VHF 625 sets, not UHF.

Mean level AGC will always give fade to grey instead of fade to black. Not many dual standard sets had DC restoration.

I look to Brian Cuff or others who worked at the BBC during the start of 625 to say how the pictures compared at the sending end.