Thread: Honeytone
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2012, 12:00 pm   #6
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Honeytone

keithinuk,

Your Honeytone machine was also branded under at least two other names, which I have the following in my collection: 1) Benkson & 2) Binatone. (see pics below)

The Binatone version, as does the Honeytone has a Speed control (just a rotary low ohmic, wirewound pot).

The machine's transport system is based on the Rim Drive principle, although the chassis on the Honeytone, Benkson & the Binatone is a more 'sophisticate' Rim Drive system than usual.

Note:
A basic Rim Drive system is based on the (single) motor shaft/s making contact with the outer rims of both spool platters (which have a rubber tyre around the outer perimeter). This system makes the running speed change throughout it's play/recording transportation (as the amount of tape on the Take-Up spool increases) and therefore, if you play a tape that's been recorded on a stable, constant speed machine (i.e: capstan drive), it will speed up from start to finish.

Anyway, back to the more 'sophisticated' versions.

The drive motor is mounted vertically (basic Rim Drive motors are usually mounted horizontally) and has two idler wheels which transfers the motion from the motor to either the Take-Up platter or to the Rewind platter. Note: The platter on the Honeytone, Bekson, Binatone versions have metal platters which do NOT have the rubber tyres around their perimeter. The rubber idler wheels make contact with the metal rims.

Here's some tips to improve motor/transort/rewind speed:

1) Give the contacts on the battery box for the 2x C batts a good clean.

2) Clean the wirewound surface of the Speed control with a good switch cleaner e.g Servisol S10 and then rotate the knob of the Speed control back & forth several times.

3) Clean the running edge of the two rubber idler wheels. (I use pure petroleum spirit: Ronsonol) & also clean the running edge of the two metal platters.

4) Clean the motor with Servisol S10 (although this will involve getting the spray nozzle of the S10 in through a small hole in the motor) Just one quick squirt should suffice, as too much will flood it. Then wipe away any surplus and the clean the drive shaft with Ronsonol.

I have over 30 different rim drive type machines and, in my opinion, this type of rim drive model is probably the best version.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Benkson.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	70582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Binatone.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	70583