View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 8:45 am   #11
Scimitar
Heptode

Default Re: Re-spraying record decks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

Michael is probably going to be limited to aerosols, so I reckoned that ruled out epoxies.
The Lechler can be brushed or rollered. Just takes more flatting of course, but worth it because it outperforms any other primer on the market, on all substrates, even difficult ones like aluminium and plastics.
It is also totally inert and waterproof when cured so you can use anything you like over the top with no risk of reactions.

Quote:
I don't bother buying 800 and 1200 grit, I've plenty of worn-down 400 which I use with soap. For Michael, without any prior stuff to hand, he'll need something a bit finer than 400 for anything which may be critically viewed.
It depends what is going over the top of course. For a thin material like acrylic, then possibly finer. For metallics then 800 is the figure to aim for, all preferably done dry. 400 dry generally will suit solid 2k but even then I tend to go 800 for everything.

Quote:
That Land Rover grey I use is 2K, by the way.
2k is good stuff if you have the correct PPE of course. I would have suggested basecoat and lacquer if he did, a nice cherry red metallic maybe?

Quote:
I certainly agree with the advice about aerosols from good bodyshop suppliers rather than consumer brands. I use Woodauto in Huddersfield, but that's somewhat out of Michael's roaming area. There must be equivalents around London.
Just for his information, the reason for that recommendation is the spray nozzle and pressurisation quality. They give a nice consistent pattern which can make all the difference. Also they can be mixed to any colour that can be imagined.