View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2018, 12:25 pm   #58
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Wiring a desk electric fan.

I know exactly what I'd do if that were mine, and that is to use a standard light bulb in series with the mains and flash it onto the various connections to see what was what.

The above method is what's known as using a 'LAMP LIMITER' - do a search on the forum for a LOT more information.

You can't do much harm with a standard tungsten filament 60 watt bulb in series with the mains, although you MUST take care with live connections and the risk of SERIOUS ELECTRIC SHOCK if you were to touch one! I have to highlight the safety aspect of working with live mains, as what I may do being very experienced with such things, may be dangerous for the less experienced.

I had the same problem with my central heating pump a few years ago when the three speed control switch unit completely burnt out. It had virtually been on fire and all I was left with was the remains of the charred circuit board and the blackened ends of the wires from the body of the pump motor. After doing the metering of the various wires as you've tried to do above, I made the final connection to the mains via a light bulb in series with the supply - it was the middle of winter and I wasn't going to risk a flash and a bang and a blown pump motor if I'd got it wrong. I had got it right with the pump motor running and the lamp running about a half 'glow' of the filament. I then hard wired it in fast speed setting and it's been like that ever since.

I think that's about the only time I've ever used the lamp limiter method, although others have a unit ready made up with bypass switching and different wattage lamps, and use them all the time for powering up unknown vintage radio sets etc.

Edit: Great minds think alike (as they say) - post crossed with Refugee while I was typing!

Last edited by Techman; 13th Jun 2018 at 12:32 pm.