View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2018, 8:36 pm   #12
Croozer
Pentode

Default Re: Mystery suitcase & unknown chassis

There is indeed a Dac90, minus its case. It's in fairly miserable condition but it still has its o/p transformer and valve and mains dropper.

The car radio is indeed badged DRH - couple if additional pics attached. It has three of its four valves present, but looks like someone has had a go at the front end. The tuning (three presets) is missing its mechanism.

Interesting and surprising to learn that the mystery chassis is likely a Philips PL36 amplifier. I can't see any markings on what (I now assume) will be a push pull output transformer. Last two pics show above and below decks. Assuming four valves, two parallel push pulls that must have been one scary powerful beast.

Last year I built a modest stereo amp around a pair of UL84s, which has created a demand for a repeat from various people including my sister-in-law who liked the steam punk novelty. I was hoping to pull enough components from what remains in the case, but the only pair of o/p valves are ul41, which don't seem to have a great reputation - the case will, however, provide the elusive speaker transformers.

I had a quick look at the PL36 datasets. The graphs show scary high anode currents (over 1000mA!) so I guess this would rule out their single ended use with a conventional SE transformer robbed from one of the other sets. I'm not good at the maths, (so this is from interpretation of the graphs) by under-running the anodes at say 50-70V (I also have a great big toroidal mains TX with a 50V o/p), or by holding down the g2 voltage again to 50 V and biasing g1 high (-30V) or some combination of the above, i wonder if it would be possible to get the anode current down to a suitable range for those little SE output transformers? (and at the same time be on a straight enough bit of the graph to sound ok) It would also have the benefit of keeping the top caps of the anodes down to something safe (ish).
This isn't intended to be a 'disposals' type thread, but if anyone should see anything they need to maintain the originality of a better example, complete a project etc, send me a PM and I'll send on the bits for postage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180612_191550.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	164481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180612_191754.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	164482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180612_191919.jpg
Views:	98